Wednesday 13 December 2006

Only In Kenya

Well – it’s all actually happening.

Last week I spoke to the good people at People & Planet (the UK’s biggest student campaign network, which I’m still sort of involved with even though I finished being a student in September) and they agreed that I could be their official representative at the World Social Forum in Kenya in January. This means three important things:

1) I now have a real reason to be at the WSF other than “because it’d be cool and I want to find out what’s going on and stuff”;

2) They’ve already given me some useful things to do there (which I’ll get on to in a bit), and will be informing other student campaigners around the UK about what I’m up to, so that they can give me missions as well;

3) I’ll get to wear a special T-shirt.

I’m getting properly excited – and daunted – by this whole thing now. Luckily, I can always use this to calm my nerves:

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/kenya/

It’s been around for a while, of course, but it still works. Even though there are no tigers in Kenya, my Norwegian housemate seems less than impressed by it, and that tune now automatically leaps into my head every time I think about my upcoming trip...

D

No comments: